Monday, September 27, 2010

I LOVE fall!!!

It is now officially my favorite time of year! I love all the tastes and smells of fall. Spiced candles and hearty soups are some of my favorite things! Today we woke up to temperatures in the 40's. It made me crave one of my favorite soups. Pumpkin soup! I got a taste for it when I was in Australia. Over there, pumpkin is not a sweet thing, it's savory. Since I don't care for sweet pumpkin things (other than pumpkin spiced lattes!!!), I tried the soup and LOVED it! It's SO easy, healthy, and very low in calories! Here's my recipe!

4 cups of chicken stock
1 1/2 cups of carrots (cut)
1/12 cups of onions (cut)
2 cups of water
1 15oz can of pure pumpkin puree

Put the stock and water into a pot with the carrots and onions. Boil until vegetables are tender. Take off heat and add pumpkin puree.
Allow the soup to cool before putting it into a blender. Blend until smooth.
Pour soup back in the pot and put back on medium heat.

From there you can season to your taste.

Here's what I like in my soup:

Salt and pepper
Garlic powder ( i have used fresh garlic before and it always seems to over power the soup)
Dried oregano
Cumin

I don't measure my spices. I just keep tasting the soup and adding the spices until it tastes right to me.

This recipe serves 6 and is only around 60 calories per serving. This soup is great with a salad for lunch or as a starter for dinner.

This weather also makes me crave a nice roasted chicken. So tonight, I'm going to make a lemon herb roast chicken for dinner!

I love this time of year!

2 comments:

Cove Girl said...

I will definitely have to try some of that! Thanks for the recipe

Kali said...

Mmmm...I'm gonna have to try that!